This is a recipe I received from an Australian friend of mine. I haven’t had a chance to visit Australia yet, but I’ve been told meat pies are very popular there.
It’s the first time I made these and I have to admit that preparing the shortcrust pastry hasn’t been easy. The pastry ended up a bit crumbly and difficult to handle, but I still think it was worth making as the pies came out delicious.
Serve with ketchup!
Australian Meat Pie
Minced beef filled pastry based on an Australian / English recipe. In this recipe the shortcrust is made from scratch, but store-bought puff pastry is used. You could also replace the beef stock with chicken stock.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 500 grams minced beef
- 2 bacon rashers, chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 200 grams flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 100 grams butter
- 1 egg yolk
- To prepare the shortcrust pastry. Chop the butter into small pieces and and mix with the flour, salt and egg yolk.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes and then form a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Heat oil in pan, add onion and bacon. Stir 2-3 min until golden.
- Add minced beef and stir 5-10 minutes until brown.
- Add flour and tomato paste. Stir 1 minute until all combined and then add stock and thyme. Continue stirring and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to med/low and simmer 25-30 mins until sauce is thick and meat tender. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/180°C (fan forced).
- Roll the shortcrust pastry to ½ cm thickness and line 12 round pie moulds (7½cm) with shortcrust pastry made earlier. Trim the sides. Fill the moulds with prepared beef and close the moulds with the puff pastry. Seal the edges pushing with a fork. Use a sharp knife to make a small cross in the top of the pie.
- Brush the top of the pie with the egg-wash. Put in oven and bake for 25-30 mins.
- Let the pies cool down on the rack for about 15 minutes.
- Done! Serve with tomato sauce.
Discover many other great recipes at Resepiz